Monday 21 November 2011

The Albion Interviews... Alan Cook


Binos’ 19 year-old midfielder Alan Cook has made an impact since arriving from Dumbarton in the summer. Cook shone in pre-season for the club and sealed his six-month contract after an impressive performance against Cliftonville. The Albion caught up with Alan to talk about how the move came about, how we won a contract, his goals for the rest of the 2011/12 campaign and what his team-mates would say he has to improve on.

Albion - You started out at Dumbarton, how did you enjoy your overall time at the club?

Alan Cook - I really enjoyed my time with Dumbarton to start with as I made my debut when I just turned 17 and I managed to play seven games on the bounce and scored a couple of goals in the process, however after I signed my contact I seen my game time reduced and never got much of a look in. That was obviously frustrating for me but I do have to thank Dumbarton though for giving me my break.

Albion - You were offered a trial with Albion in the summer and you were particularly impressive against Cliftonville in the Ladbrokes Cup, do you believe that game was vital for you in earning a contract?

Alan Cook - Like any trial game you have to impress or else you wont be asked back so in that game I managed to do enough to be asked back to sign for 6 months. The game was important to me getting a contact as the season was starting the following week. I was also lucky that I got on so early in the game as I started on the bench so once I got on I knew I had to make an impact in the game.

Albion - There was a lot of change at the club during the summer, especially with many other players were on trial through the "So you think you're good enough?" scheme where players paid money to earn a place in the team, did you feel added pressure to make an impact in such a short time period and under such unique circumstances?

Alan Cook - I had read about the "So you think you're good enough?" idea in the paper which I found quite interesting how it worked. Even though my trial was nothing to do with the SYTYGE scheme, I didn’t notice a massive difference between myself and the rest of the lads who were taking part in the paid trial. I knew we were all in the same boat as we were all trying to gain a contract with Albion. I think the idea was good as we picked up two really good players in Sam Filler and John Crawley through the trial so I think it was a success.

Albion - You have shown an eye for goal in your early appearances for Albion, what do you believe you need to work on to become to be an established player for the Binos'?

Alan Cook - I am glad that I have managed to contribute a few goals for the team so early in the season and if I want to be playing every week I will have to work hard in training and also make sure I take every opportunity the gaffer gives me on the pitch and hopefully that will be enough to see my playing regularly. I know I need to improve and if you ask any of the boys this question I’m sure they would all say for me to play the simple pass a lot more.

Albion -What are you're personal goals for the remainder of the 2011/2012 season?

Alan Cook -My personal goals for this season have to be simply to play every week and hopefully I can achieve that by playing well when I get the chance to start or make sure I am making a difference when coming on from the bench.. I am happy that I have managed to get a couple of goals early on for Albion but I am looking to contribute a few more during the rest of the campaign. 

No comments:

Post a Comment